Crispy Quinoa Fritters (plus a visit to the Delicious Food Show)

Quinoa fritters are a great thing to make during the week because they’re easy, generally quick, and reheat really well.

Quinoa is such a great staple for vegetarians. One serving (a 1/4 cup) has 15% of your daily iron, 6g of protein and a good amount of fibre. It’s also very affordable and low-cal if that’s a concern. Just to clear up any confusion, “Royal” quinoa is a mix of red and white quinoa. If you just have one or the other, you can use that as well because the texture won’t change much—I just like it for aesthetics.

Although I just ate the fritters on with a dip, I think they could be really good crumbled into pastas or used as a sandwich filling. They’re really filling and pack lots of flavour, but they’re versatile in the sense that they would taste good in a ton of different dishes with all kinds of sauces. I adapted a recipe from here.

And as for my visit to the The Delicious Food Show! It’s taking place all weekend at the Better Living Centre with hundreds of exhibitors and a handful of great guest speakers. I was lucky enough to be there on the day where Martha Stewart was speaking, which on its own was a cool experience because she’s basically built her own empire of food and home companies. I was sad that Nadia G. (from Bitchin’ Kitchen) wasn’t going to be there when I was, but I was soon distracted by non-stop food sampling.Martha Stewart

One of my favourite food trucks was one called ME.N.U. which served creative fried rice balls stuffed with all different kinds of fillings, and topped with yummy sauces. I could have eaten an embarrassing amount of those. Another exhibitor which really stood out was Hot Bunzz, which gourmet buns filled and topped with innovative foods. Mine had beets, quinoa and walnut pesto, just to list off a few.

There’s also a blog called Cucina Moderna which has some interesting videos on cooking tips, recipes and product comparisons. If you’re interested, give it a look.Crispy Quinoa Fritters with textCrispy Quinoa Fritters

Makes 12 fritters

For fritters:

• 1 cup royal quinoa, uncooked
  • 3/4 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely granted
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
  • 1 small onion, finely minced
  • Black pepper to taste
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus some for dusting
  • Vegetable oil for frying

For Creamy Dill Dip:

• 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 1 tsp. fresh dill (or dried, whatever you have in your kitchen)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced

To make fritters: Rinse quinoa in cold water, then place in a pot with 2 cups of water. Add salt, bring to a boil, then lower down to a simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes until the water has absorbed/dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.

In a large bowl, mix together cooked quinoa, parmesan cheese, eggs, onion, pepper and flour. Lightly dust your hands with flour so the dough doesn’t stick to your hands, then roll about 3 tablespoons of the mixture into a ball and set it on a dry surface. Repeat with remaining mixture.

Heat oil in a frying pan. Flatten the balls slightly before placing them into the pan, then fry for 3-5 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy. Drain excess oil by placing them on a paper towel, then serve with your favourite dip.Stack of Crispy Quinoa Fritters

For reheating: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place patties on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes, turning over once. Test the middle to make sure the fritter has heated up all the way through.

To make dip: Mix the yogurt, dill and garlic together in a small bowl. Allow to sit for 20 minutes for flavours to develop, although it’s not necessary. Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container.Crispy Quinoa Fritter with a bite

39 thoughts on “Crispy Quinoa Fritters (plus a visit to the Delicious Food Show)

1. Ngan R. says:

These look beautiful! I can’t wait to try these and add them into my quinoa recipe rotation. The red and white “royal” mix produces such a pleasing look!

2. kim tully says:

I tried this recipe and it was great! I had to make a few changes – being lactose intolerant. Instead of parmesan I used a goats cheese about the consistency of cheddar, but I used one cup. I also added a clove of garlic. (being Italian). For the dip I used soy yogurt and added chopped mint and mashed mango. It is now a new family favorite. Thank you!

3. Cynthia Henderson says:

Being new to the GF and Vegetarian lifestyle, am looking forward to using more Quinoa. Is there an alternative, though, for the egg to hold these together? I’m intolerant to egg yolks in addition to MANY other items of late. Any guidance is GREATLY appreciated! THANKS!!

• Veronica Sheppard says:

I have heard that 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, 1 1/2 tablespoons water, and 1 teaspoon baking powder can work as a binder in recipes (I’ve seen that ratio around the web a few times) but I haven’t actually tried it myself so I can’t promise great results. They also sell egg substitute in stores but again I’m not too familiar with vegan products. Either way, good luck with starting off a gf & veg diet and I guarentee it will become easier along the way!

• Veronica Sheppard says:

I feel like the texture wouldn’t quite be the same, but in all fairness I have never cooked with quinoa flakes so I can’t tell you 100%. For your first try, I wouldn’t risk it!

4. Bets says:

I plan to cook these – they ‘look’ so good. I will use Coconut Oil to fry plus will use Coconut or Almond Flour instead of all=purpose – so may not look the same – but should be delish plus they will soooooo good for me.

Thank you for this recipe. I’m always looking for different ways to use Quinoa.

• Veronica Sheppard says:

There are several websites that you can use as a base calculator (and the app MyFitnessPal is not bad either) but at this time I don’t include them in my posts because I do not have the means.

5. DIDI says:

Instead of the regular flour I used chickpea flour (any indian grocery carries it, called besan) It made these fritters super crispy and gluten free. Delicious recipe – we have them for breakfast and use them as a side for dinner – yummy

6. Alice says:

This sounds delicious however my diet is sugar and flour free. is there anything I could use as a substitute for flour? mashed potatoes or more Parmesan cheese maybe?

Comments & Questions

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s