This super-easy chili is packed with protein and vitamins, and doesn’t sacrifice flavour. You can eat it on its own or scoop it up in tortilla chips; either way, you’re going to love it.
Imitation meat can be pretty hit and miss. I’ve actually never been a huge fan of Tofurky-brand products but I found this one to be really good (texture and taste). If you come across another brand of soy ground-sausage, feel free to use it in this recipe.
Shredding the potato into really fine shreds is important for the texture of this chili. One major problem I’ve had in the past with homemade chilis is that they’re too runny—the taste was there, but the texture wasn’t quite what I wanted it to be. For this recipe, I noticed the pot was looking a little soupy, so I boiled down some of the liquids and added in shredded potato.
Makes 4-6 servings
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. sriracha hot sauce
- 5 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (340g) package meatless chorizo ground sausage (I used the Tofurky brand)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup juice from canned tomatoes (plus one or two of the tomatoes if you want additional ones)
- 1 small potato, peeled and finely shredded
- 1 (540mL) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle paprika
In a large saucepan, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot and pepper, and stir until aromas begin to rise up, about 3-4 minutes. Add cherry tomatoes and sriracha. Stir for another 3-4 minutes, then add the soy chorizo. Cook for 5 minutes to lightly brown the chorizo.
Pour in stock and tomato juice. Bring to a boil on high heat. While still boiling, add shredded potato, black beans, bay leaf and chipotle paprika. Allow to boil for 3 minutes, then reduce heat to a strong simmer and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes and allow to cool slightly before eating. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.